If you’re looking to start a business in Missouri, forming a limited liability company (LLC) can be a great option. An LLC combines the liability protection of a corporation with the simplicity and tax benefits of a partnership. But how do you go about creating an LLC in Missouri? In this article, we’ll walk you through the process step-by-step, including the costs, necessary documents, and key considerations.
It’s important to consider factors such as your business plan, industry-specific requirements, and local business regulations when starting an LLC in Missouri. By taking the time to properly structure and form your LLC, you can lay the foundation for a successful and protected business venture.
Three Things To Be Aware Of When Starting Your LLC
The video below covers the following three things you must know when setting up your LLC.
- Commingling Funds
- Registered Agent
- Piercing the Corporate Veil
If you are unfamiliar with these terms, please watch the video below.
Table of Contents
Steps to Create an LLC in Missouri
Starting a business can be a challenging and rewarding experience, but it’s important to do it right. Establishing a limited liability company (LLC) in Missouri is a great way to protect your personal assets while enjoying the benefits of a legal business structure. In this guide, we’ll outline the steps required to create an LLC in Missouri.
- Cost: Creating an LLC in Missouri requires a $52 filing fee and an additional $5 fee if you choose to file online.
- Required documents: To create an LLC in Missouri, you’ll need to file Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State’s office, choose a registered agent, and obtain any necessary business licenses and permits.
- Name availability: Before filing your Articles of Organization, you’ll want to make sure your desired business name is available in Missouri. You can check name availability on the Secretary of State’s website.
- Registered agent: As part of the Articles of Organization, you’ll need to designate a registered agent in Missouri who can receive legal and official documents on behalf of your LLC.
- Important considerations: When creating an LLC in Missouri, you’ll want to think about factors such as the number and type of members, the management structure, and the tax implications.
Forming an LLC in Missouri can be a straightforward process with the right guidance and preparation. By understanding the costs, required documents, and important considerations, you can create a legally compliant and successful business in the state.
Costs to Open an LLC in Missouri
An LLC, or limited liability company, can benefit business owners such as personal liability protection and tax flexibility. But what are the costs associated with creating an LLC in Missouri? Here are the answers:
- Filing fee: The cost to file Articles of Organization with the Missouri Secretary of State is $52.
- Business License: Depending on your industry, you may need to obtain a business license, which can range from $25 to $1,000.
- Registered Agent Fee: If you choose to hire a registered agent to receive legal documents on behalf of your LLC, the fee can range from $50 to $500 per year.
- Attorney fees: While not required, it can be helpful to consult with an attorney to ensure that your LLC is formed correctly. The cost of attorney fees can vary.report fee: $20fee (if required by the county): Varies by county
|Name||Bizee||Northwest Registered Agent||ZenBusiness||LegalZoom||Tailor Brands|
|Description||Bizee (formerly Incfile) is an exceptional solution for starting and managing your new business in the USA. The best of all: Year one is $0 + State Fee!||A company that provides registered agent services, business formation, and compliance solutions for businesses, including Limited Liability Companies and corporations.||The process with ZenBusiness involves an automated chatbot that helps determine which package suits your needs.||LegalZoom offers a variety of services, including business formation, wills and trusts, intellectual property, and legal consultations.||Tailor Brands LLC service has some good aspects to it, but you can overpay by $509 using this service.|
|Buy this product|
By understanding the costs involved, you can budget accordingly and ensure that your business is formed correctly. Keep in mind that while there are some fees associated with forming an LLC, the benefits, such as personal liability protection, may far outweigh the costs in the long run.
Files needed to open an LLC in Missouri
If you’re looking to form an LLC in Missouri, you may be wondering what documents you need to file. Here are the files needed to open an LLC in Missouri:
- Articles of Organization: This is the main document that must be filed with the Missouri Secretary of State to form your LLC. It includes basic information about your business, such as its name, address, and registered agent.
- Operating Agreement: While not required by the state of Missouri, an operating agreement is a crucial document that outlines how your LLC will be run. It can help avoid misunderstandings and conflicts between members.
- Business License: Depending on your industry and location, you may need to obtain a business license or permit from the local or state government.
Forming an LLC in Missouri requires filing the Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State, as well as considering other important documents, such as an operating agreement and business license. By ensuring that you have all the necessary paperwork in order, you can properly form your LLC and set your business up for success.
Bizee (formerly Incfile) is our preferred choice for LLC formation because they provide all of the services your new business needs while being transparent with pricing. They also offer a free registered agent service for the first year, even in their free package.
Check out a behind-the-scenes of what managing your LLC looks like in your dashboard in this Bizee review.
Things to consider when opening an LLC in Missouri
Before opening an LLC in Missouri, there are several important things to consider to ensure that you’re setting up your business for success. Here are some of the key things to keep in mind.
- Choose a unique and distinguishable business name: Your LLC’s name must be unique and distinguishable from other businesses registered in Missouri. You can check the availability of your desired name through the Missouri Secretary of State’s website.
- Choose a registered agent: Your LLC must have a registered agent who is responsible for receiving legal notices and documents on behalf of your business. This person must be a resident of Missouri or a registered business entity authorized to do business in the state.
- Understand the tax requirements: As with any business, you’ll need to understand the tax requirements for your LLC in Missouri. This may include obtaining an employer identification number (EIN) from the IRS, registering for state and local taxes, and filing annual reports with the Secretary of State.
- Obtain any necessary licenses and permits: Depending on your industry and location, you may need to obtain licenses and permits from the state or local government to operate your business legally.
|LLC SERVICE||CURRENT PRICING|
|Bizee LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|ZenBusiness LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|LegalZoom LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|TailorBrands LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|Northwest Registered Agent LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
Opening an LLC in Missouri requires careful consideration of factors such as business name availability, choosing a registered agent, understanding tax requirements, and obtaining necessary licenses and permits. By taking the time to properly navigate these important steps, you can set your business up for long-term success.
Creating an LLC in Missouri can seem daunting, but with the right guidance and resources, it’s a relatively straightforward process. By taking the time to carefully consider the costs, required documents, and key factors, you’ll be on your way to forming a successful LLC in no time. Good luck on your entrepreneurial journey!
For more information on starting an LLC in Missouri, be sure to visit other resources on our website. Our articles on the various steps involved in forming an LLC, as well as information on the benefits of an LLC, can provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your business.
Additionally, our guides on registering for taxes, obtaining an EIN, and creating an operating agreement can help you navigate the legal requirements of starting an LLC in Missouri. Whether you’re just starting out or looking to expand an existing business, forming an LLC in Missouri can be a great choice. For more information and support as you begin this process, be sure to visit our website and take advantage of our comprehensive resources.
Legal Disclaimer: This article contains general legal information, does not constitute professional legal advice for your situation, and should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client relationship. If you have legal questions, you should seek the advice of an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.
Where Do I Even Begin with Starting a Business?
This depends on where you’re at in your journey.
Step 1 is deciding what type of business you want to start.
Step 2 is filling out the BizBuddy Pathway for your business.
Step 3 is legally forming your business.
Check out the FAQs below that match up with where you’re at in your process.
What Type of Business Should I Start?
If you’re unsure of what kind of business you want to start, you need to assess your situation. Things like your skills, available time, passion(s), money, and risk tolerance all factor into your decision. This post on What Business to Start is a great place to assess your situation and find the right fit for your unique situation.
What is the BizBuddy Pathway?
Research says that 92% of people with a business idea will never start a business. There are no shortages of ideas… execution is the scarce resource. The BizBuddy Pathway is a simplified approach for you to lay out your business journey.
Think of it like writing a book. The Pathway is like coming up with the title, storyline, and chapters, so you have the outline of where to begin. This is how you become the 8%.
How Do I Legally Form a Business?
It’s not as difficult as you think. That’s because in the U.S. small businesses accounted for 62% of all new jobs created between 1995 and 2020. That’s why you hear people say small business is the backbone of the economy. Check out this Guide on How to Legally Form a Business (in the U.S.). It will give you a full understanding of what goes into forming your legal entity and the options available to you. If you’re unfamiliar with terms like “Piercing the Corporate Veil” you’ll want to check out that guide.
How Do I Grow My Business?
Congrats. You’re already in the game and looking to grow. BizBuddy was founded by Eric Worral who started his first business at 13 years old (sealing driveways). That was well over 20 years ago when he had to figure out how to get new customers. No matter what business you’re in you need paying customers. This is a Guide on How to Get More Customers for Your Business. It’s a comprehensive overview of how to think about your category of business and the marketing strategies to implement. Onward and Upward!