Are you ready to start your own business in Mississippi? Opening an LLC can provide a flexible and advantageous business structure, but the process can be daunting if you don’t know where to start. In this guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know to create an LLC in Mississippi, including costs, required documents, and key considerations.
It’s important to consider factors such as your business plan, industry-specific requirements, and local business regulations when starting an LLC in Mississippi. By taking the time to structure and form your LLC properly, you can lay the foundation for a successful and protected business venture.
Three Things To Be Aware Of When Starting Your LLC
The video below covers the following three things you must know when setting up your LLC.
- Commingling Funds
- Registered Agent
- Piercing the Corporate Veil
If you are unfamiliar with these terms, please watch the video below.
Table of Contents
7 Steps to Create an LLC in Mississippi
Starting a business can be a challenging and rewarding experience, but it’s important to do it right. Establishing a limited liability company (LLC) in Mississippi is a great way to protect your personal assets while enjoying the benefits of a legal business structure. In this guide, we’ll outline the steps required to create an LLC in Mississippi.
- Choose a name for your LLC.
- Appoint a registered agent
- File the Certificate of Formation with the Mississippi Secretary of State
- Obtain any necessary licenses and permits
- Draft an operating agreement for your LLC
- Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS
- Open a business bank account and obtain any necessary insurance
Creating an LLC in Mississippi is a smart move for any entrepreneur, but it’s important to understand the requirements and take the necessary steps to establish your business properly. From selecting a name and appointing a registered agent to drafting an operating agreement and obtaining an EIN, there are several key steps you need to take to set up your LLC in Mississippi.
Costs to Open an LLC in Mississippi
When starting a business, it’s essential to consider the costs involved in the process. In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at the fees and expenses associated with opening an LLC in Mississippi.
- The filing fee for the Certificate of Formation: $53
- Registered agent fee: Varies by agent
- Annual report filing fee: $0 (Mississippi does not require annual reports)
- Other potential costs: Lawyer fees, business insurance, business licenses and permits
|Name||Bizee||Northwest Registered Agent||ZenBusiness||LegalZoom||Tailor Brands|
|Description||Bizee (formerly Incfile) is an exceptional solution for starting and managing your new business in the USA. The best of all: Year one is $0 + State Fee!||A company that provides registered agent services, business formation, and compliance solutions for businesses, including Limited Liability Companies and corporations.||The process with ZenBusiness involves an automated chatbot that helps determine which package suits your needs.||LegalZoom offers a variety of services, including business formation, wills and trusts, intellectual property, and legal consultations.||Tailor Brands LLC service has some good aspects to it, but you can overpay by $509 using this service.|
|Buy this product|
While the fees and costs associated with establishing an LLC in Mississippi are relatively low, it’s important to factor in additional expenses like registered agent fees, lawyer fees, and business insurance.
By understanding the costs involved, you can budget accordingly and avoid any surprises as you establish your business in the state. By taking the necessary steps and investing in your business, you can set yourself up for success and start building your brand in Mississippi.
Files needed to open an LLC in Mississippi
Creating a limited liability company (LLC) in Mississippi can be an exciting opportunity for entrepreneurs. However, it’s important to understand the documentation and paperwork required to establish your business properly. In this guide, we’ll outline the key files and documents you need to create an LLC in Mississippi.
- Certificate of Formation: This is the main document needed to create your LLC and includes information like the name of your business, the purpose of your business, and the name and address of your registered agent.
- Operating Agreement: While not required by the state of Mississippi, an operating agreement is a critical document that outlines the ownership structure and management of your LLC. It’s recommended that you create one to establish clear guidelines for your business.
- IRS Form SS-4: This form is required to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. An EIN is necessary for tax purposes and to open a business bank account.
- Business licenses and permits: Depending on the nature of your business, you may need to obtain additional licenses and permits at the federal, state, and local levels.
Creating an LLC in Mississippi requires several key documents and paperwork, including the Certificate of Formation, an operating agreement, IRS Form SS-4, and potentially additional licenses and permits. Whether you’re starting a new venture or expanding an existing one, creating an LLC in Mississippi is a smart move for any entrepreneur.
Bizee (formerly Incfile) is our preferred choice for LLC formation because they provide all of the services your new business needs while being transparent with pricing. They also offer a free registered agent service for the first year, even in their free package.
Check out a behind-the-scenes of what managing your LLC looks like in your dashboard in this Bizee review.
Things to consider when opening an LLC in Mississippi
If you’re considering opening an LLC in Mississippi, there are several factors to keep in mind. From choosing the right business structure to complying with state regulations, it’s important to understand the implications of creating an LLC in this state.
- Business structure: Choosing the right business structure is crucial for your LLC’s success. In Mississippi, you can choose to create a single-member LLC or a multi-member LLC, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Name availability: Before filing your Certificate of Formation, you need to ensure that your desired business name is available in Mississippi. You can check name availability on the Secretary of State’s website.
- Registered Agent: You need to designate a registered agent in Mississippi who can receive legal and official documents on behalf of your LLC. This can be an individual or a registered agent service.
- Taxes: Mississippi requires LLCs to pay an annual franchise tax of $50, along with other taxes like sales tax and income tax.
- Licenses and permits: Depending on the nature of your business, you may need to obtain additional licenses and permits at the federal, state, and local levels
|LLC SERVICE||CURRENT PRICING|
|Bizee LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|ZenBusiness LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|LegalZoom LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|TailorBrands LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
|Northwest Registered Agent LLC||2023 updated – Choose your State|
By understanding the requirements and taking the necessary steps, you can create a successful and legally compliant business in the state.
Opening an LLC in Mississippi is a straightforward process that requires a few key steps and considerations. By understanding the costs, required documents, and important considerations, you can create a legally compliant and successful business in the state.
Whether you’re starting a new venture or expanding an existing one, an LLC can provide the flexibility and advantages you need to succeed in Mississippi’s business landscape. So, don’t wait any longer – follow these steps and start building the business of your dreams today!
For more information on starting an LLC in Mississippi, be sure to visit other resources on our website. Our articles on the various steps involved in forming an LLC, as well as information on the benefits of an LLC, can provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your business.
Our guides on registering for taxes, obtaining an EIN, and creating an operating agreement can help you navigate the legal requirements of starting an LLC in Mississippi. Whether you’re just starting out or looking to expand an existing business, forming an LLC in Mississippi can be a great choice. For more information and support as you begin this process, be sure to visit our website and take advantage of our comprehensive resources.
Legal Disclaimer: This article contains general legal information, does not constitute professional legal advice for your situation, and should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client relationship. If you have legal questions, you should seek the advice of an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.
Where Do I Even Begin with Starting a Business?
This depends on where you’re at in your journey.
Step 1 is deciding what type of business you want to start.
Step 2 is filling out the BizBuddy Pathway for your business.
Step 3 is legally forming your business.
Check out the FAQs below that match up with where you’re at in your process.
What Type of Business Should I Start?
If you’re unsure of what kind of business you want to start, you need to assess your situation. Things like your skills, available time, passion(s), money, and risk tolerance all factor into your decision. This post on What Business to Start is a great place to assess your situation and find the right fit for your unique situation.
What is the BizBuddy Pathway?
Research says that 92% of people with a business idea will never start a business. There are no shortages of ideas… execution is the scarce resource. The BizBuddy Pathway is a simplified approach for you to lay out your business journey.
Think of it like writing a book. The Pathway is like coming up with the title, storyline, and chapters, so you have the outline of where to begin. This is how you become the 8%.
How Do I Legally Form a Business?
It’s not as difficult as you think. That’s because in the U.S. small businesses accounted for 62% of all new jobs created between 1995 and 2020. That’s why you hear people say small business is the backbone of the economy. Check out this Guide on How to Legally Form a Business (in the U.S.). It will give you a full understanding of what goes into forming your legal entity and the options available to you. If you’re unfamiliar with terms like “Piercing the Corporate Veil” you’ll want to check out that guide.
How Do I Grow My Business?
Congrats. You’re already in the game and looking to grow. BizBuddy was founded by Eric Worral, who started his first business at 13 years old (sealing driveways). That was well over 20 years ago when he had to figure out how to get new customers. No matter what business you’re in you need paying customers. This is a Guide on How to Get More Customers for Your Business. It’s a comprehensive overview of how to think about your category of business and the marketing strategies to implement. Onward and Upward!